Thursday, March 21, 2013

Rear tires, new electric fan

Last week I took the Ranchero down to the local tire store and had them put the 185/80r13's back on (give the car a bit of a boost in the rear end and also helps to keep the rpm down a bit lower. I also ordered the new 14 inch electric fan and the harmonic balancer.

Today I pulled the front bumper and lower valance (rock shield) so I can modify it to fit the new electric fan. Fortunately the PO (previous owner) had already cut the core support so the radiator could be moved forward just a bit. Since the old mechanical fan was so small (12 inches) and probably wasn't working that well, I went ahead and removed it. The new 14 inch fan is quite a bit larger and covers most of the radiator surface.

Hopefully the harmonic balancer will get here today and tomorrow I can pull the radiator so I can get to the front bolt on the HB. I'm hoping my compressor has the poop to power the impact wrench enough to get that bolt off! If not then 'plan b'.

I took a few photos of the modification that was done to slot the radiator core to move the radiator forward.

passenger side


 drivers side

drivers side 

passenger side

 old harmonic balancer and distance from mechanical fan to radiator

Need to cut front rock shield for new 14 inch fan. This is with the old 10 inch fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment