Thursday, February 28, 2013

Replaced C4 speedo driven gear

Since changing the rear end from the Pinto 2.73 ratio to the Falcon 3.50 ratio my speedometer has been way off (too fast!) So I ordered a 21 tooth driven gear the other day. It came in the mail yesterday so I pulled the old one out this morning and replaced it.

The process was pretty simple, remove the bolt and retainer that holds the speedometer cable into the tailshaft of the trans and pull, it came right out. The one that was in it was 17 teeth (tan in color) and quite worn. I removed the small retainer clip with a screwdriver and installed the new (red in color) 21 tooth gear. Pushed it back into the housing and reinstalled the bolt that holds the retainer. All in all about 5 minutes (took longer to jack the car up!).

Took it for a test drive and the speedometer still shows about 5 mph faster than I'm going (checked with a local speed trap sign). I figure that's close enough and since I'm going to be changing the rear tires to a taller tire size it should compensate in the correct direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment