Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"New" rear end

During the 'test drive' of the Ranchero I was hearing a 'click, click, click' coming from the area of the rear end. I assumed it was u-joints of which I was partially correct. I replaced both u-joints, which were worn badly, however the clicking was still there. Since the click was equal to the rotation of the wheel I figured it had to be the ring or pinion teeth had a chip. I had been told the rear axle was from a 75 Ford Granada however once I had it out I determined it was actually a 77 / 78 Ford Pinto / Bobcat rear end. The biggest issue (other than the fact it was making noise) was the bolt pattern was 4.25" rather than the original 4.5". The previous owner had elongated the holes in the rims to make them fit then used large flat washers to make sure it wouldn't fall off. Not the safest way to do things. I was able to locate a 62 Ford Falcon / 3.50 ratio rear end along with 2 stock rims to replace the modified ones. When I pulled the cover to check the 'new' rear end, I was surprised to find it was in really great shape! I replaced the wheel cylinders, brake line, brake shoes, and brake hardware. I also had to modify the driveshaft as the 'new' rear end had a different size u-joint and the shaft needed to be just a tad longer to fit correctly. Pretty simple job to replace it. Took about 1 hour and it was in. During this I found out the shakel bushings in the springs were shot so I ordered some and will install them later. Here's a picture of the 'new' rear end.

No comments:

Post a Comment